This notification is to comply with The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, Title X, and Part C of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. This legislation ensures that children and youth experiencing homelessness have full and equal access to an appropriate public education and that they experience success in school. All eligible students may participate in the education programs and activities of Amelia County Public Schools.
The Act defines homelessness as living in the following places due to a lack of a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
• In an emergency or transitional shelter
• In a motel, hotel, or campground
• In a car, park, public place, bus or train station, or abandoned building
• Doubled up with relatives or friends
• In the above conditions and is a migratory child or youth
This definition of homelessness applies to children and youth with:
• Uncertain housing
• A temporary address
• No permanent physical address
For assistance, contact any Amelia County Public School or Dr. Jan Medley, Director of Student Services and Federal Programs, at 804-561-2621.